There can be a number of reasons for wanting to have an addition to your home, you need more space maybe because a new family member has arrived or maybe you have grown tired of cramming your family into a tiny space and it’s time for a much needed additional kitchen space. Whatever your reason is, it is always wise to plan ahead. Allow yourself some “dreamtime” in order for put your needs into a clearer focus. You can compile a scrapbook full of photos and plans which you have clipped from your favorite home-design magazines. Watch TV shows that feature remodeling or redecorating projects and gather ideas and inspiration by visiting new and remodeled homes in your area. Planning will ensure a smooth flow of the works in order to finish on time.
Here are 5 tips for adding a new room:
1. Gathering of Legal Documents: Before planning anything, track down a few legal documents first. Find an accurate plot plan of your property showing the property lines and the proximity of the existing and proposed buildings to those lines. You will need to ensure that the new addition is not built “outside” jurisdictional setbacks defined by local Zoning laws that is why this step is very important. If you skip this step and there is a property built too close to the property lines, this might have to be torn down. Go to your local Registry of Deeds where plot plans and surveys are usually available.
2. Realistic Budget Should Be Determined: It is important to determine a budget before meeting up with a builder or architect. You would not want to stretch yourself thin financially going for a design you have fallen in love with because you have not set your budget with your contractors first. Take into consideration as well the cost for a decent contingency number, increases to property taxes, utility expenses and insurance.
3. Identify Exactly What You Need: What you need should be considered above and beyond what you might “want”. Keep a very specific list of the functions you will need the new space to provide. You can also make a list of “special” items you might be able to consider if an extra budget turns up.
4. Do Not Hesitate To Hire A Design Professional: You might have a lot of ideas about designs but the truth is Architects does not only provide great service but their designs offer amazing spaces that any average person can’t come up with. They can also be the best source of reference and it will be worthwhile to heed their recommendations to enable you to choose a builder you can trust.
5. Financing and Realistic Expectations: While a new addition can be exciting, it can be disillusioning as well if you start the project without a substantial equity ready on the table. You must be realistic with your budget, your needs, and your expectations because even small projects can cost you a lot and may take time and cause disruptions to your family,
Keep in mind that additions are NOT DIY Projects. You shouldn’t attempt a building addition even if you think you are competent enough, unless you are a contractor yourself. Besides, if a bank is financing the project, a licensed general contractor is required since a house addition project typically requires multiple trades and a number of coordination.
Building a home addition is a huge undertaking. You could encounter a lot of glitches and suffer both financially and emotionally if you do not plan well.